Posted on Friday, January 24th, 2020 at 2:28 pm by Megan
Happy February! This month we’ll take a deep dive into one of the most famous gemstones out there – amethyst! Know for its beautiful purple glow, amethyst has a lot history and surprisingly, powers, behind it! Enjoy these 10 interesting facts about our favorite purple stone:
1. Its name derives from the Greek "amethystos", which means "not drunken", as Amethyst in antiquity was thought to ward off drunkenness.
2. Like citrine, amethyst is a member of the quartz family and is considered the most highly prized variety of quartz.
3. Occasionally, a rare gift from nature occurs when the presence of amethyst and citrine are discovered in a quartz gemstone, resulting in an ametrine. (Pictured to the left.)
4. Amethyst is believed to inspire courage, calm, and contemplation. In fact, Egyptian soldiers would wear amethyst in battle in order to retain their courage.
5. The color purple was traditionally the color of royalty, and amethyst was used to adorn the richest and most powerful monarchs and rulers
6. Most Amethyst is mined in Brazil, while Siberia, Uruguay and Canada also mine the gem.
7. Amethyst is the official gemstone of the province of Ontario.
8. Leonardo da Vinci believed amethyst had the power to control evil thoughts, to quicken intelligence, and to make men shrewd in business matters.
9. Amethyst rings are traditionally worn by Bishops; some believe that amethyst brings good luck to petitioners.
10. The English revered the stone for its majestic properties — creating emblems and insignia featuring amethysts during the Middle Ages to symbolize royalty.
View all our Amethyst jewelry HERE!